Frequently Asked Questions
1. How important is prayer in Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship?
2. Will I be the only person sponsoring the child I’m helping?
3. If I must discontinue my child sponsorship, what happens to the child I’m helping?
4. Why does it cost more to sponsor a child through Andy Kind Heart Foundation than similar child sponsorship organizations?
5. How much does it cost to sponsor a child?
6. May I send gifts to my child?
7. Must I hold and practice specific Christian beliefs to sponsor a child through Andy Kind Heart Foundation?
8. Is there anything I cannot send to my sponsored child?
9. How can I communicate with the child I sponsor?
10. What other opportunities will I have to learn about the child I’m helping?
11. What do I do if I am considering canceling my sponsorship?
12. Will my child write to me?
13. What is an Andy Kind Heart Foundation’s Sponsor?
14. How long should my child sponsorship last?
15. As a sponsor, how else can I learn about the child I am helping?
16. What specific benefits will the child I sponsor receive?
17. What makes Andy Kind Heart Foundation stand out among other child care organizations?
- How important is prayer in Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship?
Prayer is a critical link between Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsors and the children they help. Your sponsored child is in need and vulnerable.
Your prayers for the health, safety, education and spiritual development of your child are critical. Sponsored children are greatly encouraged when they hear that their sponsors are praying for them.
Remember that the child you sponsor will likely pray for you, too. Often, a sponsored child’s family and church join in prayer with the child on behalf of a sponsor. As you share your own family and personal concerns with the child you support, you’ll probably discover that he or she is consistently praying for you.
- Will I be the only person sponsoring the child I’m helping?
Yes. The child you’re helping has just one sponsor: you. That’s why your prayers, letters and support mean so much to your sponsored child. Even if you choose to sponsor a child as a family or a group (for example, a youth group or a Sunday school class), the child you help will still be relating to your family or group as his or her only sponsor. No other group or individual will also sponsor the child you help.
- If I must discontinue my child sponsorship, what happens to the child I’m helping?
If you need to discontinue your child sponsorship, we will immediately look for a new sponsor for your child and continue the child’s sponsorship support without interruption.
- Why does it cost more to sponsor a child through Andy Kind Heart Foundation than similar child sponsorship organizations?
Andy Kind Heart Foundation is a holistic child development organization that focuses on the full development of the child. Because of that, we release children from poverty, not merely sustain them through it. Many organizations focus on only one aspect of poverty.
Andy Kind Heart Foundation also recognizes that the children we serve have unique needs and unique gifts. Therefore, we work at the grassroots level to identify and meet the specific needs of the world’s poorest children through church partnership. In doing so, Andy Kind Heart Foundation addresses the spiritual, economic, social and physical aspects of poverty so that children may become responsible and fulfilled Christian adults.
In addressing the many needs of children by partnering with the local church, Andy Kind Heart Foundation also relies heavily on the relational aspect of sponsorship. We encourage sponsors to have a close relationship with their sponsored children through consistent correspondence and communication, as well as personal visits. This separates us from other organizations.
Andy Kind Heart Foundation is a Christian charity that works through the local church, and therefore we do not accept government funds. This also distinguishes us from other child sponsorship organizations.
Open Heart’s holistic ministry is:
- Child focused – We are committed to making a difference in each child’s life. Local staff is personally acquainted with each child to minister to his or her unique needs. We believe in ministering to individual children because they will be the ones to better their communities and nations in the future.
- Christ centered – We commit to honor Jesus Christ in all that we do. Every child who participates in Andy Kind Heart Foundation program is given the opportunity to learn about Jesus Christ and discover how to develop a lifelong relationship with God.
- Church based – We work exclusively through indigenous churches to create child development ministries so that church leaders and members around the world can become effective child advocates in their communities. Instead of throwing money at a problem, we believe in bringing long-term change.
- Committed to integrity – We commit to upholding the highest professional and biblical principles. We strive for excellence and exercise integrity to best benefit children in need.
By adhering to our core principles for two years, Andy Kind Heart Foundation has become a leader among child development organizations and as such has often set the pace for other like organizations to follow suit in raising their sponsorship rates as well.
- How much does it cost to sponsor a child?
If you choose to sponsor a child, the cost is only $50 per month for primary level and $82.00 for secondary level sponsorship.
- May I send gifts to my child?
Yes. Andy Kind Heart Foundation encourages sponsors to give additional monetary gifts to their sponsored children for special occasions, to address specific needs, or simply as an act of love. These gifts are another effective way for you to reinforce your care and commitment to your child.
One hundred percent of all individual child gift amounts go to that child. Local child development center workers purchase gifts on behalf of our sponsors and make certain that these funds are used appropriately.
You may also send a gift to your sponsored child’s family. With your monetary gift, the child development center staff will buy items your child’s family needs, such as new beds, livestock and food supplies. We will work closely with the family to determine the greatest need and then purchase items accordingly. One hundred percent of all family gift amounts go to that child’s family.
- Must I hold and practice specific Christian beliefs to sponsor a child through Andy Kind Heart Foundation?
Andy Kind Heart Foundation does not set criteria for child sponsorship. We do not require you to sign a statement of faith or a statement regarding your religious beliefs and practices. We do, however, seek sponsors who are aligned with our ministry approach and philosophy. Andy Kind Heart Foundation is an anglical Christian ministry dedicated to the holistic development of children in poverty. We carry out our programs by partnering with local Christian churches around the world who share our vision for ministry and conduct Christian outreach to local children and families. The partnerships we enter into with these local churches are based upon a universal statement of faith developed by the National Association of Anglicans.
- Is there anything I cannot send to my sponsored child?
As a sponsor, you have many opportunities to communicate with the child you sponsor and we encourage you to do so. When you communicate with him or her, however, we ask you to provide comments and materials consistent with the Christian values and philosophies we share with our partnering churches. We will not forward photographs and other materials depicting activities that:
- Might be considered inappropriate in another culture.
- Promote lifestyle choices that we view as unhealthy and inconsistent with biblical based lifestyles or otherwise inappropriate for sponsored children.
- Might threaten the safety of the sponsored children in any way.
For example, we will not forward materials that depict or describe the use of alcoholic beverages, tobacco, unlawful drugs and materials or activities that we regard as dangerous or unsafe. We will not forward materials or communications that advocate another religious worldview. In addition, we will not forward materials depicting persons dressed in immodest clothing or engaging in activities inconsistent with our ministry values and beliefs.
- How can I communicate with the child I sponsor?
Once you’ve become a sponsor, we provide you with a special correspondence packet that includes
stationery, an envelope and the brochure Letters, Gifts and Your Sponsored Child with practical suggestions about writing the child you’re helping.
We encourage you to send your sponsored child a personal or family photograph and a short letter of introduction. Andy Kind Heart Foundation’s field staff will translate your letter and deliver it to the child you support. Sponsored children typically keep their sponsors’ photos and letters in their homes as treasured possessions.
You may write to the child you sponsor as often as you like. When you write, your sponsored child will benefit from knowing that someone in addition to his or her family really cares. Your words of encouragement will make a big difference to your child.
Correspondence between sponsors and the children they support is truly developmental. The more you write the child you sponsor, the more he or she will reap the benefits of your relationship.
- What other opportunities will I have to learn about the child I’m helping?
In addition to letters from your sponsored child, Andy Kind Heart Foundation will send you periodic updates about your child’s progress, Kind Heart Magazine— a publication about Andy Kind Heart Foundation’s work, and regular newsletters about your child’s country and Andy Kind Heart Foundation’s program there.
You’ll have a better understanding of your sponsored child’s culture and life and it’s quite likely that your vision of God’s kingdom will expand, too. You may even decide to visit the child you sponsor on Andy Kind Heart Foundation Sponsor Tour. It’s an unforgettable experience. You can find out more about sponsor tours by calling us at+256784756375.
- What do I do if I am considering canceling my sponsorship?
To inquire about canceling your sponsorship, please call our contact center at +256784756375 Business hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. MT.
- Will my child write to me?
Your child will write to you at least three times a year. A teacher or staff person will help children who have yet to learn how to read and write. Letter writing is developmental for children as it improves their basic literacy, self-awareness and ability to put thoughts and feelings into words.
As you share your own family and personal concerns with the child you support, you’ll probably discover that he or she is consistently praying for you. As your exchange of letters with the child you sponsor grows over the years, you can build a scrapbook of letters and photos from your child. Your scrapbook will serve as a constant reminder of the relationship you’ve developed with the child you’re helping and of how you’ve contributed to his or her growth.
- What is an Andy Kind Heart Sponsor?
Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsor is someone like you who has made the decision to personally invest in the life of a child in need. As Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsor, you enable your sponsored child to participate in a church-based program that offers life-changing benefits including help with:
- health care
- social skills development
- Christian training
And more than this, you can help your sponsored child develop a sense of confidence and self-worth with the love you express through letters and prayers.
As Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsor, you are assured that there is a real connection between you and the specific child you support. The child you sponsor will know your name, write to you and benefit directly from your monthly sponsorship.
Your relationship with your sponsored child makes you a very important person who has a significant role in his or her development. You stand alongside parents, pastors, teachers, family and friends who are taking an active role in encouraging and developing the child.
- How long should my child sponsorship last?
Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship offers you the opportunity to stay with a child for a number of years, usually through the school year in which the child reaches the age of 18 to 22 (varies by country). While we hope that you will be able to continue in your support of your sponsored child until he or she completes the Andy Kind Heart Foundation program, we recognize that sponsors’ circumstances sometimes change. You may discontinue your sponsorship at any time.
Please understand that a sponsored child’s circumstances may change, too. For example, sometimes families move beyond the reach of Andy Kind Heart Foundation program and children have to leave Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship.
We will inform you as quickly as possible if any such circumstance affects the child you sponsor, and we’ll offer you the opportunity to support another child in need of your help.
- As a sponsor, how else can I learn about the child I am helping?
In addition to letters from your sponsored child, Andy Kind Heart Foundation will send you periodic updates about the child’s progress and newsletters about situations in your child’s country that affect child development and Andy Kind Heart Foundation program there. You’ll have a better understanding of your sponsored child’s culture and life. It’s quite likely that your vision of God’s kingdom will expand. You may even decide to visit your child on Andy Kind Heart Foundation Sponsor Tour. It’s an unforgettable experience.
- What specific benefits will the child I sponsor receive?
The child you sponsor through Andy Kind Heart Foundation will receive opportunities and services that most of the world’s poorest children will simply never see. These opportunities and services include the following:
- The opportunity to receive an education:
In some cases, this means providing the cost of school fees, clothing and supplies. In other cases, it means providing tutoring, help with homework, encouragement and, if necessary, participation in a literacy program outside the classroom. Your Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship will allow one special child to stay in school longer if formal schooling is an option and get the most out of his or her education.
- The opportunity to be healthy:
The health of the child you sponsor will be monitored and care will be provided as needed. Children are taught about hygiene and how to maintain personal health. In addition, and according to their needs, many Andy Kind Heart Foundation children receive supplementary food.
- The opportunity to develop self-confidence and social skills:
The child you support will be part of a church-based program where Christian adults offer love, guidance, personal attention, guided recreation and safety.
- The opportunity to hear the gospel and learn about Jesus:
Most important, your Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship provides the child you sponsor with regular Bible training and encouragement through a local church committed to Christ and the children in its community.
What makes Andy Kind Hear Foundation stand out among other child care organizations?
As an Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsor, you’ll discover Kind Heart’s distinctive values:
- A focus on child development: Our program targets the needs of individual children first. Many organizations focus on needs of the community first. Both approaches have value but we believe Kind Heart’s emphasis reminds everyone — staff, sponsor and child alike — that everything we do is based on the needs of the children we serve.
- Working exclusively through local churches and Christian fellowships: We want sponsored children to view the benefits of Andy Kind Heart Foundation sponsorship as an expression of God’s love for them. We also want to equip the Body of Christ in the countries where we work with effective child development ministries so that church leaders and members around the world can become effective child advocates in their communities.
- A goal of child discipleship: We believe the most loving thing we can do for children is to introduce them to Jesus Christ. Here’s why:
- When children discover their worth to God, their self-esteem blossoms.
- Children who recognize their roles as disciples are a strategic part of today’s Church.
- Children discipled in the Word and ways of God become our most potent weapon against tomorrow’s poverty because they are tomorrow’s Church.
Our goal, then, is to take a child from the brink of survival to abundant life as a disciple of Jesus Christ.